Friday, November 18, 2011

Gratitude

All of us at times, bemoan the things we don't have. Here's part of my list....





I don't have my children living close by.
My Mother.
My sisters and brother and their families live in other states.
I won't have a mortgage paid off anytime soon.
I don't wear a size 8.
I don't travel as much as I would like.
I don't have an I-Pad 2 or a wireless printer.
I don't have multi million dollar escrows.
My face is starting to look its age.
I need a new range.





You get the picture.... the list could be quite long. Sometimes late at night when I can't sleep I think of everything in the world that is a worry or a want. I don't spend time thinking about what I have. That list... the important one, is too often neglected.





From that place of I need, I want, I don't have... very little forward movement is possible. It is a negative place. A place that paralyzes you and keeps you from moving forward.





Here is my list of what I am grateful to acknowledge I have... and trust me this list has no end, these are just the ones on the top of my mind today.





My husband. He is at the top of my list. He allows me the freedom to be who I am, and loves me more for it. He is my biggest cheerleader, and has the strongest shoulders I know. He listens to me when I am worried. He gives me incredible advice which almost always is right. I am blessed to have found my soul mate. My partner . With whom I share an incredible life. My first and my last husband, who I will love forever.







Our children. We both are blessed with daughters who are intelligent and beautiful. Each are very different from each other. They grew up in each other's shadow to be their own people.






Katie is artistic and creative. She has a heart that is tender and I feel blessed to feel I am in her heart. Blessed to watch her grow. Grateful she has a job and someone she cares for. Happy every time I hear from her. I know she will always be there for me as I would be for her.







Allison is intelligent and an unbelievable writer. I feel blessed to have seen her marry and be loved. And blessed to watch her as she pursues her career in something she has dreamt about. I am so proud to see her succeed. She is strong and I am blessed to know she loves me and will always be there for me.




My friends, near and far. To name them would be to compare them and they are without compare each and every one. I am so grateful to be a part of their lives.



Fellow survivors... I feel completely and utterly blessed to be a part of a group of people who have had the same life altering experience of being told you might die, only to come through and be stronger and wiser.

I am grateful for my home. It is a place where Glenn and I can be ourselves. It is our home. It serves us as shelter, as a place to welcome family and friends. It is where we look out windows to the most amazing changing landscape. It is where I grow amazing apples from a tree that Glenn planted.




Tamalpais Valley, our larger home. I am grateful for the trails, the beach. The fog as it dances its way down the valley in the summer. The trees that sway in the breeze. My work. I am grateful that through my work I have met some of the most incredible people in the world. Many have become friends, some have become like family. I feel blessed when I know I helped them find a home where their dreams can be realized. I am grateful for a beautiful and intelligent partner who keeps this business interesting and fun.



I am blessed to have had dogs as a part of my life. Blessed to have a goofy boy named Tucker and a prima donna named Sophie. Both of whom look up to me and Glenn for love ( okay maybe cookies too).




I am grateful my dress looked good for the Susan G Komen Gala, and that my daughter could be my date. I am grateful that Glenn helped me, to give myself permission to go. I am grateful that that trip, the walks and all of my participation in Susan G Komen has helped me to dream big dreams, for myself and everyone. To dream of a world without Cancer is a big dream ... but somehow, I feel I am blessed to be a part of making that dream come true.

I am blessed to have discovered I am not older, I am stronger. I am not an athlete but I can walk 60 miles. I am blessed to have discovered how good it feels to make a difference, and how incredible it feels to physically, mentally, emotionally and in every way embrace my own survival.


I am grateful I started this blog, that allows and encourages me to think one layer deeper. I am blessed to know this matters to other people.



It's almost Thanksgiving. It is a time for thanks. And I could go on and on and on about what I am thankful for... Every day should be a day to be thankful. I have a feeling we all would sleep better, be happier and ultimately create a heck of a lot more to be thankful for, if we just took the time to acknowledge what we already have.




HAPPY THANKSGIVING!








PS NEW THANKS! Judi has officially joined



Team:Are We There yet? SF! We are going to have the best time!







DONATE and give me one more reason to be thankful!



No comments:

Post a Comment