Part of today's walk was to compare Alain Pinel Offices. We have opened a new office in Mill Valley. I can walk to this office in literally 15 minutes. It sits along the shore of Richardson Bay. I know that if I wanted to I could move to this office and that move would have advantages.
- It is lots closer for most of my clients, and it is easier to get to for the SF clients who come to Marin.
- It's quieter with fewer people, and that sometimes is a good thing for work.
- Because it sits along the water, there are water views and my Feng Shui gal Amy said, I would benefit from a workplace with an East Facing water view...
- Change can invigorate you.
- It's located off the freeway and has great visibility.
- The support staff in the office is fantastic and the management spends most of its time there. There's lots of energy.
- I have a nice large office and have my marketing pieces all printed with the 101 Nellen address on them...
- I dislike change.
I had hoped my walk would clear this dilemma up as well as brighten my mood. My heart is still heavy from the loss of our friend Om. His memorial services will be this Tuesday and Thursday. I hoped each step would help make me stronger for the emotional journey of this week. I think the thing that will make me stronger will be the arm of my husband. I hope he can find the same strength in my arm. It will be fitting the memorials are on New Years Eve, because on New Years Day we will have another choice; Shall we huddle in the swamp grass and disappear for awhile, or shall we together take flight and blind the world with our collective brilliance? And finally what would Om want us to do.
Life is full of these choices. Sometimes it is easier to hide. Change always carries with it some sadness for the things you leave behind. I hope the new year will be one in which we all venture forward and embrace each day. I hope you find the courage to take flight and the courage to look around you to see the magic.
Walk on friends... walk on.... because it is the only true way you can honor not only the future but today and equally importantly the past.