Thursday, August 25, 2011

Back to 1971

For the past 18 months we have been planning the 40th reunion of the Los Altos High School class of 1971. This past weekend was the big event and as I am recuperating (I have had one hella of a cold), I thought I would at least get the pictures up online.

It was a great weekend. Wonderful to see so many people who you may not recognize at first, but you almost always do if you look at their eyes. Of course some others were easier to identify. We all look a little different after 40 years. Some people looked better without the long stringy hair that was the rage. It was interesting to hear what people are doing, how many children/grandchildren they have, where they are living and catch up. It was even more fun watching them doing the same thing, having a ball at this party that was so long in the making.

Our pre-party was at Rossetti's or Zotts or the Alpine Inn, depending on when you knew it. This biker type bar is on Alpine Road in Portola Valley. A few people came around 30 or so. They mingled in the back around the picnic tables and inside at the bar. It was pretty darn cold. But the crowd was warm and welcoming.

Judy Palmer and Glenn. Judy is walking in DC with us.

Glenn came only to the pre-party and then it was girl time. On the day of the big event Glenn left and Deanne Clark joined us. While Jill as at an appt. Deanne and I went shopping and bought some mini cupcakes from Kara's Cupcakes.

I tired on the dress I bought and changed my mind. It was too fancy, too clingy and not at all right. I changed into jeans and a top with a sweater and pashmina - accented with sparkly jewels. At least I'd be comfortable, I hope Nrodstroms will take a three month old return, tried on twice.

Jill did most of the work on this reunion, but I managed the website, arranged the catering and venue, so I went a little early to make sure all the logistical things worked out.

The event was held at the Los Altos History Museum, next to city hall, the police station, the library and over the fence from Hillview Elementary School where I went to grammar school.

Sandy Van Straaten Mitro is quite the artist and I guess it ran in the family. Her father made this flower cart for our High School grad night 40 years ago. Sandy had saved it all these years, especially for this?

Our dear friend Andrew "Andy" Tink is battling throat cancer and couldn't attend. He sent Jill a patch for her to wear at the reunion. We also set up Skype so people could talk with him. I didn't know when they were going to do this so I missed it entirely! We all missed him very much. He was our foreign exchange student from Australia. He became very active in the school in our student government. He was selected as class politician as was I. He went further than me... becoming a member of Parliament.

Our principle Dude Anigus and our football coach Tom But attended and they came early.

The name tag on royal blue ribbons with our high school yearbook pictures.

People arrived and stood chatting on the early side...

Kurt Gruen came in costume.

He has always been a lady's man.

There were several teachers who attended including Claire Pelton who was my English teacher.

I invited Greg Lyons and his new wife Stacy to the reunion even though they are not from our class. Greg's brother Ladd was in our class but didn't attend. The Lyons' grew up with us off Cypress Drive, those were golden days.

The event was held outside on a brick patios with tinkle lights. It was perfect. Whereas I worried it would be too cold, it was ideal. People mingled easily. Jocks, with nerds, Drama freaks with brainiacks.... After 40 years it is really remarkable how alike we have grown (or have always been but didn't recognize in the teenage haze...)

It did me good to see all those smiling faces.

Barb Hatfield was on our committee.

Sherry Witt Snow was also a committee member

Paulette Hubbs and I had a good time.

Sandy with her cart!

We stayed well past the 11 end time. I ended up pulling up the tablecloths while people were standing there talking. We picked a place where the party could continue. We headed down to a sports bar on Main Street. It was 12:30 when we left.

The party harders hung out at the bar until after 2am.

I went to bed and kept locking at the clock. the last time I saw it was 5:44 am. The alarm went off at 8:30.....

And we headed down to the poolside for brunch at Dinah's Garden Hotel around 10:30.

I was a part of a small band of girls who we names WA (Weirdos of America) back in High School. Deanne, Jill, Sylvia, Ginny and Patty. Patty went to another High School but she joined us for Brunch.

I'm calling this "the boys in the band". I don't know if they all are musicans but I know two are. If they arent musician they should be.

Joe was the only male meber of our reunion committee and we had most of our meetings at this house - thanks to his wife for letting us invade.

Roxy has always been full of life.

So I left the reunion and headed up to Mill Valley but stopped on the way to buy the fixings for dinner at Glenn's Dad's house. It already was going to be a long day having only got 3 hours sleep, but when I got closer to home I discovered the person I had holding open my listing was not prepared. So I joined him, then after the open house left to go meet up with Glenn and drive back to down the penisula, cook dinner and drive back home.

So.... I think that may have contributed to my BAD cold.

But the reunion was a success. The hardwok paid off. Proud to be a member of the LAHS class of 1971. Glad to be alive to enjoy it!

Now its back to work, training (eventually) and then off to DC. Hopefully it will still be around after the earthquake and Hurricane!