Saturday, June 9, 2012

Notes from the road

 It's time to do some catching up. I haven't written much about my walks and I don't want you think I haven't been doing anything. I have been walking but much of it has been practical walking like to work and back. Or short walks, (4-5 mile walks) like Glenn and I took to Alameda where we managed to get a little Hangar 1 vodka tasting mixed in with some wine tasting and some USS Hornet looking...

This week my teammate Leslie joined me for a walk to Thai food, via Italian Pastry, via College of Marin (about 7-8 miles) with her two darling children Olivia and Jack. (Joe was at school). And I finished off this week today with a solo jaunt from the SF Ferry to the Sausalito Ferry about 11 miles.

So here are a few photos from the road.....
Jack, Leslie and Olivia, all doing our warm up active stretches. Look at those enthusiastic 3 dayers! I am so excited for SF and to be walking there with this family. It will be magical.

While we were walking Leslie and I were talkignabout Pinktini and Popcorn and suggested the little ones sell raffle tickets. What do you think? If Olivia wears her survivor pin, don't you think the guests will dig deep and help us end Cancer?!

That studly boy Jack walked at least 6.5 of the 7-8 miles. I told him during the walk he had to be sure to have some snacks for his Mom to give her energy.

It was so good to be able to walk with them this week. It has been toooo long.


Friday's walk.... Solo.

I love to walk with my peeps, but I need to walk by myself once in awhile. There is something totally relaxing to me about a long walk, far from the everyday. Only thing is, the one way I can do this is I CAN bring my I-phone. I have done quite a few deals, negotiations and a lot of communicating while walking. Oh and I sometimes will take a picture.
Or two or three. I switch back and forth from my I-Phone to the little Canon I carry. My Canon has scratches and dents in it from at least 3 of these 4 3 day seasons. But the little guy is hanging in there.
Kinda like me, and these Fisherman Wharf restaurants. Ok, now I get it. My parents took me and Vicki to the Franciscan Restaurant when were were little. It was probably the newest one on the Wharf. Since 1957... It was probably 2 years old when we were there!


The tourists are back as the real "tourism season" starts. It's time for me to bob and weave to avoid collisions!
I have no idea what they are planning to do this "fisherman" and "crab". But they look pretty colorful.

Nearly every time I pass this structure at Aquatic Park there is a gull sitting on top, like the perfect decoration.
With the weather being as warm as it has been, there were more swimmers than usual here. It may also have something to do with the "Escape" from Alcatraz Triathlon this weekend.
What are these? Wild sweet peas? They are one of the many flowers that line the way on this SF/Marin walk. These are at Fort Mason.
Up close.

And as you reach Crissy Field the bridge becomes the backdrop to most of the views.
And those views are stunning so when you are walking in you Pedestrian side of the sidewalk you need to remind yourself to watch our for staying bikes. The bikes will be multiplying and the changes for injury will too. I saw one near collision in Sausalito as an impatient car decide to swing wide around a group of bikes at a curve. Another car nearly hit the other car head on. There really needs to be a better way.

Hopefully as this group of toddlers ride their bikes they are learning the rules of the road. It seems very few bikers follow them.

Stunning.


Not so stunning if the change they made at the Bridge. There used to be beautiful flowers and winding paths at at this side of the bridge... this is what they replaced it with.
A couple of informational boards with ads for ways people can spend money.
And a cold expanse of brick (probably indigenous) reminiscent of the "improvements" the Soviets made to European architecture. It almost made me cry. They tool the hear out of this area. But I suppose Glenn is right, that makes for fewer gardeners they have to pay.

Maybe they will keep on one to trim the grass and manage this one patch of flowers.


It was an odd day where the wind was ripping through the city, but nearly still on the bridge. Heading back to Marin, the many many people walking were enjoying what they may not have realized was a rare day on the GG Bridge.

 They get to look at views like this...


 Coming down the "killer" hill that one walker said should have a rope tow.

Fort Baker looking over the harbor to the city beyond. Taking note of the miles I have walked so far in my fight to end Breast Cancer. If walkers walk an average of 585 miles in training alone. I would say I have walked at least 2000 by now. That's pretty impressive, but there is so much further to go.

I need you help. Breast Cancer needs to go.
A donation  or a bid on our auction will go a long way towards helping wake up to a day without Breast Cancer. Today with or without the person who had the idea... I am going to get some photos taken of our Sock Monkeys.

You see sock monkeys have always been a fear of mine since childhood. I used to have nightmares where they would eat me. Those big red mouths.... EEKK. Judi made 10 of these for our auction and sent them in a big box that arrived this week. I opened the box and immediately all 10 red mouths were staring back at me. I just laughed hysterically.

Isn't that the way it is sometimes, the things that scare you often are just all yarn and fluff.
Breast Cancer used to frighten me too, but that feeling has changed. Now it just makes me mad.
AND trust me... you don't want me mad!

Visit www.pinktiniandpopcorn.com to buy your tickets to our July 22nd event OR bid on one of these monkeys!





No comments:

Post a Comment