Thursday, June 4, 2009

My house to MV Market and back

I have always wondered how far it would be to walk from our house to downtown Mill Valley and back. Well now I know... it's 9.345 miles. My solo journey began after our sales meeting and after meeting with a client at MV planning. I left at about 11:45. I am home now after having a nice glass of water some apricots and a slice of cheese and its 2:40. I have to say that is pretty good time considering I ate lunch and took photos on the way...

Take a walk with me...
As you know by now I live up a pretty steep hill. It's good practice for the 3 day walk in SF! These walks give me an opportunity to see things in ways I haven't taken the time to do before. The above photo is the grass that lines the path along Coyote Creek.
The slender grass looks like it is adorned with Japanese lanterns. I bet if you listened closely they would sound like small rattles in the breeze.
There are Buckeye trees that line the creek as well.
Buckeyes have two meanings for me. Of course there's the obvious, my son-in-law is from Ohio, the state of the Buckeye, but there is another memory that I have associated with this the nut, the Buckeye. The photo above shows the bloom on the tree and a buckeye nut.
When my mother was going through chemo therapy, my brother gave my her a buckeye. She would hold it while she was getting chemo therapy. A little known fact is that I did too. I would focus on the smooth surface of the nut in my hand when the medicine was being administered. I would think about my mother and I would remember how much this Buckeye meant to her. I would remember the young 16 year old brother of mine and how much he loved her. I would remember the sweetness and the sadness. Most of all that Buckeye symbolized love to me and that, that is what I would concentrate on the most.
So I guess you could say... Buckeyes mean a lot to me.
Graffiti under the bridge .
In Mill Valley, there aren't a lot of homeless people that I am aware of. In fact the new low income housing at the old Fireside is having difficulty being filled. The reason why, I don't know, except they are asking $900 a month for a studio! On my walk today I ran into two people who have been homeless - at least one that I know is and another who usually holds a sign that says he is. The latter guy, was sitting on this bench with some friends. They were feeding and talking with the birds. I chatted with them for awhile. You could tell the birds knew them. He would make a noise and the birds would come over to get fed. I said "Looks like you found some friends!" and he said "Yeah, they know me." I had never seen him smile like that before.

Later I saw Vince. He is a fellow you see walking in Mill Valley in an over sized green coat. Katie, my younger daughter got to know him pretty well when she worked at Starbucks. He would come in for a coffee pretty regularly. With both these people, as it is with everything else in life, most of us have never the time to find out who these people are in our communities, but when we do, we are usually surprised that they too have stories. They are not just as they seem. We all should try to stop long enough to see what is really in front of us.

Making the turn to head toward town, I walked along a condo association and the creek. There was a time lumber would travel down this creek to the bay. Redwood trees from around Mill Valley were used to build homes in San Francisco, many after the earthquake. The Bay that leads to this creek, Richardson Bay, was navigable up to where Tam High is located. Now you could only get a boat up that far on the occasional flood. (I've seen them) where you could actually float almost all the way downtown through Sycamore Park!

I still think it is a little early to plan on moving here, but the Redwoods is a retirement home in Mill Valley that people wait their turn to be admitted to. Many of the people in this center have been a part of a weekly anti-war protests. They stand on the corner and hold signs and seem to have a great time with each other. In my mind I see anti-war protests and I think about the 60's and 70's, and those protesters didn't look very much like these folk. Then it occurs to me, it could have been the same people in the 60's...they are just in more "mature" bodies.

Tam High is where the young ones are now!

The Marin Theater Company is a non-assuming building that houses some great theater. We are very lucky in Mill Valley to have so many talented people contributing to the culture here. Between the Mill Valley Film Festival, The Mountain Play and Marin Theater Company there is plenty to keep us busy, but add to that the Throckmorton Theater where there is a weekly comedy night and other performances even the Mill Valley Philharmonic (in Tam Valley)... we pretty much have our pick! Sweetwater that will be reopening downtown, has been an institution in the music world where world renown performers have graced the stage. It will be reopening in a different building, but with the mad talent around, I am sure it will continue to make history.

I have to admit, I have never been to the 2 AM club. I hear that in the OLD days there were several speakeasies and brothels in Mill Valley. Leave SF and come to Mill Valley for a good time. This bar has pool (I hear) and a cold beer. I cannot verify if it stays open until 2 am! Next door is Joe's Taco Lounge, a great little spot and very popular.

THE paint store in Marin.

Through the town of Mill Valley runs a creek. In days past, fish used to spawn in these waters. I understand in recent years there have been some fish seen again. Hope we continue to clean up our act so that they are not strangers in these waters.

Mill Valley Lumber.
This still stands over the creek.

You can practically picture days gone by - when you look at Mill Valley Lumber.

It is quite the complex and is spread over a couple of blocks.

This little street, Laurelwood, also has you thinking about Mill Valley in the old days. the houses along here are among some of the oldest in town. Love this garden!
Back when the railroad used to come to Mill Valley it would stop here at the depot. It is now a cafe and bookstore. The town plaza is in front.
The town is very European. The buildings especially here in the heart of the town, feel like you are in Germany, with their half timbered architecture.

I stopped at the Mill Valley Market to grab a little lunch. This market is one of the communities biggest supporters of the local schools. In fact they have been Kiddo district supporters, whereas I have only sponsored a school! You can find so many intriguing different items here, that along with their great wine department you could be in serious trouble shopping here.
Don't go hungry! It's an old fashioned grocery store that is hard to find these days.
Directly across the street is Tyler Florence's store. He is pretty famous these days on the Food Network etc., but he is your basic home town boy. The same building used to be the first Banana Republic Store, then Wilkes Bashford - before that... I believe it was Varney's Hardware
(correct me if I am wrong).
I love this flower shop on the street next to Mill Valley Market. Year round you will see some pretty spectacular blooms.

Not my puppy, but maybe somehow related?!

One of my favorite restaurants - Bungalow 44. Glenn is happy eating here...
they have a mean burger.
The old post office. When it went on the market Glenn and I dreamed of buying it for his law practice...

Maybe we could have if we owned this car? Hey do see that pinkest glow in the reflection?
That would be me!

I don't know what kind of church this used to be but now it is the .....


Boyle park is a "close to town" treasure. Little League, tennis, big grassy expanses - some nice homes.

Across from Park School (one of five elementary schools) banners fly to advertise community events. This one was about the Marin Theater Company.

The Mill Valley Community Center.
Terwilliger Marsh
Elizabeth Terwilliger was an icon, not only in Marin but world wide. A naturalist who introduced many children and people to the beauty of nature, this marsh was dedicated in her name. It is next to the Mill Valley Middle School.
Heading home on bike hwy 5.
I ran into two people on rental bikes who were looking at their map. Once again I asked if I could be of help. The said "Oh no, we have it covered." I said okay and asked if they were going into Mill Valley. "Oh no" they said "we are going to take the short-cut to Sausalito." Then they headed over a bridge that would take them in the absoultely wrong direction, guaranteeing them a return trip and probably 3 miles of wasted time.
Sometimes, you shouldn't be so proud. Sometimes it is OKAY to accept help from someone who has been there!Heading back, you can see my neighborhood, way up there! That hill... EEECK! Sometimes I wish this 3 day walk would be in Kansas instead of SF! They would call my hill a mountain in Kansas!
The birds who know!

Our own community center in Tam Valley!

Daddy and Mommy duck. he was being very protective. Good for you Mr. Duck!
The site of many of my best days... Tam Valley School. I have many stories to still share about that.... but another day.

I ran into Susan Bueller teaching kids on the pathway up to my house from the school. What a great resource she has been for years. You know what....she remembered me!

These greens are so fairytale like!

Steps up to the street...at least some of them.

And finally back on my very own windy hill.
When I looked at the pedometer, I thought, yup that's about right 9+ miles. I also thought.... hmmm how can it be that one of the 20 mile days last year started in Crissy Field, went to downtown Mill Valley and back. This is not possible, since Crissy Field to the Sausalito Yacht Clib and back is 13 miles. From the Sausalito Yacht Club to my firend's houseboat is 3 round trip and from the junction with the pathway to downtown Mill Valley and back is 9 miles... Let's do the math... that would be 25 miles. Ok...I guess that means I have to keep training!
By the way... have you donated yet?! If not click here and make me HAPPY! DONATE

No comments:

Post a Comment