Saturday, February 13, 2010

The best in each of us


After watching the Olympic opening ceremonies, I drifted off to sleep with a deep enduring longing, on which resolve is built. For each of us, the seemingly impossible sits at different distances. For one person, riddled with illness, the impossible may be the idea that in a year they will see the sunrise. For an Olympic athlete, it may be standing on a podium with a golden medal around their necks. For most of us our impossible exists everywhere in between.


A young child, born in a violent and grey world in a life filled with the impossible, may not believe that beyond his immediate circumstances lies success, love and life. The other, born in a life of privilege may live amidst abundant things, looking always for an identity of their own, not their parents and be embarked on a journey to find themselves. Their journey is essentially the same, finding their own road not constricted by circumstance.


When I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer I was surrounded in my life by bounty and blessings, and my impossible was the idea that I could hold onto that life. How that even when the cells were dividing and multiplying in a race against time, I could stop their attack. In reality, I never believed my life would be stolen from me anymore than the athlete believes they will not win. To overcome great odds, and achieve your desires, you MUST believe you can do it. You cannot walk into the night drowning in the "I cant's" because they will swallow you up.


When I stood in front of my mirror a year ago and said, "I will walk in the Breast Cancer 3-day", I knew the odds were against me. I was not an athlete. I was overweight and had failed before in attempts to "exercise". But with each step of determination the odds fell away until I walked through a half of a mile of cheering supporters onto a field of people who exclaimed in one common voice of triumph "I did it!"


As I watch these Olympics, I realize I have more in common with these athletes that I even knew. The determination they have shown to reach this pinnacle in their lives is no less significant than mine. Each of us, have had different impossibles to overcome, and we each have stood in the glow of having succeeded.


Our training for our walk in 2010 is proceeding. I am one year older, which means I am in my 15th year of having beaten down my Breast Cancer. I ordered my 15 year survivor hat this week and plan on wearing that not only on the 3 day but through this year's training. I discovered last year, my survival meant a lot to people who lost mothers or daughters. It meant a lot to those who were working through their own intimate and personal fight. It gave them hope.


It is my goal that we, collectively will continue to give that hope. With each step I take, each dollar I make for this cause, the impossible becomes the possible. A world without Breast Cancer. Please donate. Please be a part of the journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment