Friday, February 18, 2011

Will you still feel small beside the ocean

After a good nights sleep, I looked out the window and saw some clear skies. I jumped on the computer to see what the forecast called for and there it was, a window of opportunity. The forecast said the rain would return around noon. It was 8:30. So I had my coffee and breakfast, dressed in my Giants sweatshirt and raincoat, workout pants and my trusty New Balance 1012's and headed toward Tennessee Beach.

As I walked, as I often do, I think about writing. I think about what I might say when we have our fundraiser. And today over and over again in my head I heard that country song "I hope you dance." I suppose that was partially due to having watched a couple of contestants blow the lyrics on American Idol. They are great lyrics. But the section of this Lee Ann Womak song kept repeating for me was:

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder

You get your fill but always feel that hunger

May you never take one single breath for granted

God forbid love ever leave you empty handed

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean.

When one door closes, I hope one more opens

Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

And if you get a choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance, I hope you dance.



And what a place to be singing those lyrics. Walking after days of rain as the water rushed down to the ocean along the side of the trail. To smell the sea breeze carried over the newly blooming willows and hear the birds revelling during this brief respite from the rain. To feel the sting of a cold wind on my face as I carefully navigated the puddles left behind makes me feel completely alive.

And as I reached the ocean and heard its mighty voice as it reached the rocky shore, I felt small but powerful. And suddenly I thought to myself "I am not Cancer's victim, I am its conqueror." "Cancer is not a death sentence, its a wake up call."

And then I remembered , I used to think when I was diagnosed with Cancer, God had given me a dance card that was already filled up, and at this thought, I threw up arms to the sky laughed and did a pirouette. I have a lot more dancing to do.


Enjoy the pictures of this morning's dance....
















No comments:

Post a Comment