Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Cure

It's about the cure.



Many people are asking about who else does similar work in the Breast Cancer field. The following are links to some organizations that do, if differently than Komen. I promised to give you my take on some of the best to consider. I donate to some of these in addition to Komen, because fighting Breast Cancer is so important. 1 in 8 women are diagnosed in their lifetime, 1 in 8 will die. Whatever you do, find a way to help.


Sloan Kettering – They conduct 400 clinical trials and do a lot of great research . Outreach is east coast however for patient services. Think of this as a good source for research. http://www.mskcc.org/giving

MD Anderson –Don’t see a specific way to give to only Breast Cancer. But they do remarkable work in the research and treatment of Cancer. http://www.mdanderson.org/gifts/waysofgiving

Breast Cancer Emergency Fund – This helps women going through Breast Cancer with the financial costs associated with this traumatic time in their lives. http://www.bcef-sf.org/

Nancy’s List – A very local Marin grassroots organization founded by a survivor of Colon Cancer. This organization provides assistance with the little things from community members. It is very grassroots and has wonderful support of children with Cancer called Nancy’s Clubhouse. http://www.nancyslist.org/

The Foundation for Integrative Oncology – This organization strives to support individuals throughout their cancer journey, and encourages them to take an active role in their healing process by nurturing their mind, body, and spirit. Now in association with Marin General Hospital http://www.complementarycancercare.org/supporters_circle/online_donation.php
I have not supported Avon personally but ...
Avon – The largest corporate organization for Breast Cancer, Avon does some wonderful work f. Avon Breast Foundation. They also provide funds for domestic violence. http://www.avonfoundation.org/donate

And of course

Team: Are We There Yet? Their 60 mile walk will benefit Susan G Komen for the Cure. 100% of the net proceeds raised will go to Research 75% and Services and Treatment 25%. www.the3day.org/goto/teamarewethereyet or www.the3day.org/goto/donatetocathy

I have not researched the politics of any of these organization, just their Mission and their work. If you are interested in finding out the plus and minuses of those issues that concern you, please do research these. To me, all of these organizations do wonderful, meaningful work. Find the one that speaks to you and donate.
Cancer takes lives every day. For me that is a multi front war. I donate to several of these organizations but I walk for a cure with Komen. Your support of that walk would certainly mean the world to me, but it isn’t the only way to support this fight against Cancer. I hope you find a way to help me, END Breast Cancer and support those who go through it. For larger organizations, you may want to turn to www.CharityNavigator.org to research the transparency and their finanicals.

This year I will be walking in two 3 day walks. I feel it is more important than ever to keep my focus on why I walk. I walk for a cure. 100% of the net proceeds of the walk go to that goal. 75% to research, 25% to community Screening and Treatment and Education and to support the local affiliate.

And that… I think that is the last I am going to say about that…. 120 miles… 6 days … 1 CURE.

No comments:

Post a Comment