Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bird Santurary and 7 miles today

Sweet Anise, birds and Paradise
There's a smell to Marin in the Spring, and I had almost forgotten it. Sweet and spicy, like licorice, the Anise is in its full glory. On my walk today, I walked over the overpass that had me winded on day one, without a slight hesitation. There is a bird sanctuary that is set hidden behind commercial and industrial buildings. You wouldn't image it from the frontage road. Throughout the walk you are greeted with birds hopping from bush to bush, and views out to Richardson Bay, out to San Quentin. (Which despite being a prison is really very picturesque!)












I saw a big sign posted that you shouldn't bring dogs back into this area, but... There was a big brown and white spaniel rolling in the grass, enjoying the sun and the smells. I thought he was preceded by his owner, but I later passed a woman with five dogs on leash and one empty leash, asking if I had seen a dog up ahead. Ooops. We ran off calling for Shelia!








There was one point where I felt a little claustrophobic. The anise crowded me on either side. The spend branches of past seasons lining up like swords of an honor guard. The passage way was longer than I had thought and I was ready to break through. Then finally...freedom!








On almost any walk in Marin you will see the towering image of Mount Tamalpais. Even on this shoreline walk, there she is, watching as if its her job to pay attention. Maybe she is taking notes on those people who are graced by her presence.




Once I left the off road pathway I walked through Mariner Cove. A lot of these homes are "waterside." They have a daily reminder that we are only passing through, like the shorebirds who come and go in their back yards. My final destination was Paradise Foods. This is a great market in Corte Madera. I grabbed a plum, water and salad, taking a break before heading back to the office.








My walk took me under the on-ramp to 101, and to the Town Center Shopping Center. I was hoping to see my friend at her store Featherbed and Bath, but once again... she was missing! But I did run into my friend who is scheduled for surgery tomorrow. Don't you think it is an interesting phenomenon that I have run into her today. One more reason to keep on walking. You know... it all is making sense to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment