Tuesday, March 24, 2009

On my walk today....Corte Madera to South Eliseo


I have decided that my new office is a great place to head out for walks. So far I have walked to Bon Aire Shopping Center to buy my shoes, to the Town Center twice to have lunch with friends, past the Village to Paradise and along the berm and back again... and today, I wandered over to South Eliseo and back.

I have discovered something I really have missed. Remember when you were a kid and you walked to school, how you noticed everything. (At least I did). I would notice the flowers in bloom, the neighbor cat climbing a tree, plums when they would ripen. The bite of the cold and the tingle in your legs when you were on a long walk, in a brisk breeze.
I don't know if I miss the little runny nose that goes with it!

Today's walk was a special one. I ran into a friend who was diagnosed with cancer. Her surgery is coming up. It was perfect timing, having just gotten to my destination. Aha! This is why I am doing this!
Then on my way back to the office, I got a call from my daughter. She has been admitted to Law School and just was notified of a major scholarship they had awarded her. Aha! I think, here is another reason I am doing this.
A few more steps and my phone rings. It's a friend who wants to join our team. We have a group of around 10 girls that we are close with from college days. Of those 10, 2 have had breast cancer. Does that mean the rest of our group is safe! I hope so.... But once again her call said to me... AHA! yet another reason to keep on walking.
At the end of my walk I had gone 6 miles. I was grinning ear to ear...AHA!!!!! I thought, now this is another reason I am doing this. I sat down with tingling legs, and a running nose and just smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment