Thursday, April 16, 2009

Cathy weighs in... on weight.


WHAT DO YOU SEE IN THE MIRROR?

My walk... my weight and do not judge a book by its cover....



When I was a little girl (6 years old) my mother took me to a weight doctor. She was worried about my weight because as a child she was heavier, and was teased and didn't want that to happen to me. I learned then, I was different, not as "good as" other kids.

When other kids got birthday cakes on their birthday, I got fruit cocktail with a candle. When my sister went to school with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I got bologna roll ups with cottage cheese inside. It became a self fulfilling prophesy.






And as it goes, you become what you see in your mind. I was the "fat" girl, and for most of my life my weight matched the title. When my Mother died, I did two things, I quit cigarettes and I quit eating. I lost an incredible amount of weight (about 70 pounds).


I cut corners to lose it in unhealthy ways.


By the time I started dating my husband I weighed 108, wearing a size 2.

I got married wearing a size 10, was happy and lived life. I drank wine and ate bread and stopped thinking about my weight. By the time of my first pregnancy I weighed 160lbs. I lost most of that weight before pregnancy #2, then my weight kept piling on.

When I joined Weight Watchers in 1988 I weighed 195.



I lost a lot of weight (60 lbs.) I became a weight watcher leader. I struggled to maintain a healthy weight for 5 years. For the most part I succeeded, but when weight would come on, I sometimes would simply feel like the "fat" kid again. Instead of one cookie, it would be the whole package. Instead of one candy it was a pound.


When I was diagnosed with breast cancer I weighed 199.

It has been 14 years since I weighed that weight. Last week I weighed less.

Something really different has happened to me, different than any other time in my life.

I was so busy thinking of reasons why I couldn't live as long or as well as others, I had come to believe this poisoned thinking. It was a self fulfilling prophesy.

It was right about the time I was told I was a diabetic, that my arteries were compromised, and around the time I saw someone I love following some destructive behavior, that I turned the mirror on my self and asked why. It was around this time that I saw yet another ad for the 3 day walk for Susan G Komen. It became the time that I said to myself, "I am going to live a long life, and I will live it well!" As then, as a matter of course, I have been walking, losing weight. The reason you see is not to make other people happy, and weight loss is not the goal, its a by product. I truly feel, a page has been turned.
Don't judge a book by it's cover. We all have different paths that we follow to discover ourselves. In light of that, and before you DONATE , take a look at this fantastic VIDEO and ask yourself, what have you denied yourself because you or someone you know has told you - you aren't cut out for it. In the end the only one who can change that is YOU!

2 comments:

  1. Tonight we're having Creamiest Asparagus Soup and the Best-Ever Chicken Meatloaf. Tomorrow Chris has his fit test, and blizzard or shine, I'm going to put on my snow boots and take a little walk down to the gym. The most inspirational people in our lives are the ones who have taken those "different" paths. Thank you for sharing this with the world, and we're excited to read everything you write on the fresh new page you've turned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete