Sunday, April 26, 2009

To each according to his own ability

It's Sunday, so I thought I would share with you a phrase that has been in my mind ever since I started this journey. "To each according to his own ability". The phrase repeats itself in my head as I walk. I figured it must be a parable of the tortoise and the hare. (Me being the tortoise and those marathon runners, who run past me on the road, the hare). I couldn't remember exactly where in the Bible this came from but I remembered that it did. So this morning I looked it up.

Matthew 25 - It's called the parable of the five talents. Briefly, A rich man was traveling to a far country and he gathered his three servants to distribute his goods. To one he gave five talents, to another he gave two and the last he gave one. When the man returned from his trip he gathered the men. The man who had received 5 talents, traded with those and gained another five while the master was gone so he returned 10. The man who received 2 talents returned 4 since he had also traded with them and gained another 2 while his master was gone. When the man with only one talent came forth he only had the same one talent. He had buried his talent in the ground so he wouldn't lose it and anger his master. Of course this angered the master who took the one talent and gave it to the one who had 10. Basically saying, you lazy so and so, you took what I gave you and you hid it, but the others multiplied their gifts. You don't deserve even the one gift...get lost. So he kicked the servant out. (Then there's this great part about weeping and gnashing of teeth after that).

So why am I thinking about this as I walk? I guess it is because I too have hidden, even from myself, my ability. I never thought I could do a walk like this one. Bigger than that even, in the course of my life lately, I have hoarded my time. I have given to my business life, my talents, energy and time but not so much to causes outside my immediate circle. To those I have given my money, but not much energy or time. I guess I would be a little like someone who was given 5 gifts and only worked with 2 of them.


Basically the lesson here is, look at the gifts you have been given and ask if you are using them to your best ability. Because... you really want to avoid the weeping and gnashing of teeth!
PS. One final Biblical reference... Regarding my lack of substantial walking this week..."My leg's are willing but my cold is weak!"


THANKS to your generosity, I know I am going to meet my fundraising goal by my Birthday 4/30. The next goal is getting our daughter ALLISON WELCH there too! If you would like to DONATE to me I would appreciate it. If you would like to DONATE to Allison I would appreciate it just as much! I am so happy she is coming out to walk with us. Just remember a donation to either goes to the same place... Susan G Komen to find the CURE for Breast Cancer in our lifetime. Thanks and spread the word!


No comments:

Post a Comment