Monday, April 13, 2009

China Camp, Vineman and traffic cops

It's Saturday in Marin and with my hubby doing the taxes (snicker, snicker) I hit the road and aim for 10 miles! I left from his office on Irwin street with the plan to walk to McNear Beach, have a bit to eat and then walk back, pick up the car shop for Easter and head home in time to shower and meet with clients at 5:30 in Mill Valley.

Looking at my watch it read 12:30... a lofty goal?!

My route took me along Point San Pedro Road, passing the marine related business and waterfront houses that are along the route.
Bait and Tackle Shop with live crab... Open!

A want to be light house marking a yacht harbor off the Canal

Pride of Madera, My husband's favorite

Yacht Harbor at the Marin Yacht Club
At the old Glenwood School, now San Pedro Elementary there is a road barrier that the children had decorated. Remember our Walk-a-thon at Tam Valley School, I was especially fond of this boy with a medal around his neck!
Part of the fun of walking on a weekend are the other warriors at play. There always seems to be a game somewhere. Little league at San Pedro School. I find it always interesting when home buyers will say they don't like to be near a school because of the sound of the children at play.
To me it is music....
It was right about here along the path when I looked at my watch and reality started to sink in... That round trip didn't look like as much fun as I had thought. I was almost to Peacock Gap and I called Glenn. The new plan...pick me up at McNear.

Do you notice those red cones in the photo above? I saw them and thought...hm they must have had a race or something earlier. It was already almost 2pm. The cones had signs that said "Closed Saturday April 11" - I kept walking, it didn't seemed closed to me!
Where the bricks are made...
I counted 14 snowy egrets in this marsh/pond
Right outside McNear Beach, a clue.... "Vineman parking, lot full".
There were a string of cars lined up, but I assumed it was in McNear and
decided to walk on to China Camp. The road got narrower as I got nearer to China Camp. I was glad for the lack of traffic, because I was in the road periodically and there were curves. I keep picturing me splayed on the side of the road and the headline reading, middle aged woman hit by a Land Rover in
China Camp State Park!
I had always wanted to visit the China Camp Village. The village is the site of an old fishing/shrimping village. There is still one man who is the Grandson of one of the old residents who lives here. He runs a small cafe. There were a lot of picnickers, sun bathers, jelly fish and wonderfully rich scenes to capture on my phone camera!
The Cafe
The Sorting room

From the pier back at the village
Stilted...


A JELLY FISH
I didn't bother to count the many jelly fish on the beach...I just watched my step!
Jing, what does this say?
Old boats
Rusty hinges...
Fishing nets
Residence
Remember?
Lupine on the knoll
Well folks, the best laid plans sometimes fall apart. By this time I had looked at my watch at it was 3pm. Glenn had dutifully driven toward McNear where he was stopped by a Highway patrol officer informing him the road was closed. She told him he could go all the way around and get to China Camp the other side of the peninsula. He called to let me know he would be a while longer. Then a few minutes later, he called to say the road would be closed until 4 pm.
I asked that he go back to the McNear side and go as far as they would allow and I would come back that way.
You realize I hope that I am working on a WALK, not a run, but I jumped back up on the road, got yelled at only once and jog/powerwalked back
past the McNear Beach turn off (around 1.25 miles).
The Vineman event was a Triathlon, and there were a ton of participants. They took over the road on both sides. The State Park police were NOT happy about this. I am guessing they told the CHP but not the park. There were cars who would try and sneak by, and all in all, it seemed a mix-up on communication.
I looked at these people who had run, swam and biked in the event and didn't feel at all inadequate. Sometimes you simply need to deal with the cards you are dealt. For me walking the total of 10 miles that day was an accomplishment. I don't need to compete, or impress anyone at all. When I am walking I am moving toward my own personal goal.
I see that I am getting closer all the time.
Although your support buoys me and gives me so much encouragement, it cannot be the only reason I walk. In order to really reach this goal of 60 miles in 3 days, I need to want it for me.
And you know what... I DO!
"ON YOUR LEFT!!!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment