Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Count down to my birthday! Sweating the details

WALKING, talking and sweating in 90 degrees
My birthday is next week. There was a time where I lived my life like there wouldn't be another one. In fact when I was 49, I told everyone that I was 50. That's not usual for people to do, they try to hold on to 49 for as long as they can. For me though, 49 was a scary age. My Mother had died when she was 49. I had survived Breast Cancer for more than 5 years at this point, undergone a mastectomy and treatment through chemo and tamoxifen. This was the year a little tap on my shoulder showed me that I hadn't forgotten about any of these things. I wanted to fast forward through the danger year, 49, straight to 50. I didn't want to die like my mother.

And lately since I began this journey, I think about these things when I walk. I think about survival versus living. I think about living in fear versus embracing the new. The difference is the difference between surviving and thriving.

So despite having a cold and two blisters, I elected NOT to cancel my scheduled walk with my team mate Jill. I had mapped out a route for 10 miles. The temperature was 90. I took all the precautions recommended for blisters and the heat and rendezvoused at my office.

Jill had said she would love to look at houses. I am a Realtor, as you know, and I look at houses all the time. She just bought a home that she is remodeling in Moraga and so she is looking for ideas. Our route took us through Kentfield and Ross. Our final destination was to be Taco Jane's in San Anselmo. The first part of the walk took us past Redwood High School , through Larkspur Marina. Shade was at a premium. IT WAS HOT! By the time we reached Kentfield and took off into the side streets, we both were glad to find the big trees that lined the streets providing that much needed shade.
The following photos are from our trip. The trees were great for shade, but not so great for photos of homes.
Woodland Market is everyone's favorite!
Ross post office - Residents still go in to pick up their mail - or send someone to do it for them!Gated Estates along Glenwood
We made multiple stops, to drink our water and recharge. This kind of heat is not usual for our area. One of our team mates lives in Sacramento and had walked 7 miles the day before. I asked what temperature it was and she said it wasn't bad it was 85.... Sorry I live in S. Marin. 85 is hot!
Jill and I decided we wouldn't even attempt the walk back to the office, so we made a plan to call my husband when were were at Taco Jane's... The problem with that was...Taco Jane's is closed for renovations! Luckily I knew a place that wouldn't turn up their noses at these two sweaty ladies.... we headed to Comforts.
Our lunch stop
After a great lunch of Chinese Chicken salad and chilled cucumber and mint soup, Jill and I called Glenn to come and retrieve us. In all this walk took us over 6 miles. I sweated about 1/2 my body weight in that time. My cold disappeared while we were walking. When I walked back in to the office immediately I recognized I still had it! It's great to have such wonderful friends. I am proud to be walking with each and every one. We all are counting on your support. If you like this blog and believe that curing cancer is a worthwhile cause, as a birthday present to me please donate!
I have a long life ahead to thank you!

6 comments:

  1. Randy wants to know where you found the bag lady in the pink hat? :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah there's more than one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the BBQ sauce i got with the takeout turkey meatloaf was divine

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great place! Guess it was good that Jane's was not open.....

    ReplyDelete