Monday, April 12, 2010

Explore beyond the horizon....



When we are too well pleased with ourselves.


When our dreams have come true because we have dreamed too little,


When we arrive safely because we have sailed too close to the shore,


Disturb us, Lord


To dare more boldly


To venture on wider seas


Where storms will show your mastery


Where losing sight of land we shall find the stars.


(Sir Francis Drake. 1540 – 1596)




Glenn sent me this quote today.



I didn't know the old guy had it in him... Francis Drake, not Glenn.


It would, of course, make sense an adventurer, a pirate, an explorer would see the voyage of life this way. What makes one person excel while another never seems to hit their stride? What is it that makes one person accomplish great things, while person sits seemingly frozen in space?



I think it comes down to the ability to see more than what is in front of you. It is understanding that we are only limited by our own expectations. It is to decide there is more to life than dreaming, there is doing.



Are you someone who would prefer safely near shore? Are you ready to head for the horizon and see what lies beyond? Do you believe you can chart your own course?



Today I heard from a friend who is going through the "waiting" associated with being diagnosed with Breast Cancer, but has yet to begin the treatment. Her email talked about a lot of the side effects of the treatment she will undergo. I let her know about Patti who last year, after finishing her radiation treatment, immediately started training for the 3-day. Then in October she walked in the 60 mile 3 day walk. Patti did not say, oh, I better not try that....she tested her own boundaries, she explored beyond the coastline and discovered her own strength. She is walking again this year.



Of all the gifts this 3 day walk experience has given me the biggest is the shattering of my self imposed limitations for my own possibilities. Thank you to everyone who has encouraged my exploration and.... may I say..... the water's fine, go explore.

Oh and DONATE!

CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment