Friday, April 27, 2012

Whether to walk or not....

Looking at Thursday's schedule, I had more flexibility than I've had in weeks. The only thing I HAD to do was go to Costco and the Party Rental store. Wait, that's not the only thing I HAD to do, I HAD to go walking. But sort of Murphy's law, the skies outside were cloudy with showers hanging around the area. I played with the idea of taking the Ferry to Sf and walking back. But heaven, that might be WET.

I got in the car and I drove. There is a junction at the freeway where I could have gone left or right, North or South. I thought about driving to Healdsburg and walking there, but somehow, despite the rain drops on my windshield I took the turn south and found myself parked, my, my feet on the ground and me dodging the drizzle until I was on the Ferry, headed with the rest of the commuters to SF.

By the time I got off the Ferry it was real rain. The umbrellas came out, the people scurried for cover while I ducked into the building and got in line at Peet's coffee.

The Ferry from Larkspur landed and the commuters, umbrellas deployed, were starting their day. The next Ferry home to Sausalito was over an hour away. I decided to start walking and see how well I did. Just as I left the rain eased - to a light drizzle. I was off on my way home.
Although the skies still had clouds there was some light coming through. Maybe I would luck out and the rain wouldn't come back.
ORRRRR maybe not! The rain ran off my face, dripping off my nose. I was grateful for the emergency poncho (from the Washington DC 3 day) that was hidden in my fanny pack.


Here's a cutie enjoying the weather at the Aquatic park.

Still grey but the rain had stopped. I put away my poncho and kept on walking.

The wind indicators showed changing winds.

The sun broke through the clouds and lit up the roofs over Fort Mason.

Looking over Crissy Field this will be the last picture I take of the Doyle Drive overpass. It is coming down today.

I haven't walked the bridge is quite awhile. I was tired as I got closer, but felt energized knowing I carved out enough time to do it today.


I was also glad to know that even though I had missed a lot of the flowers of a Spring walk, the Douglas Irises were blooming as I climbed up to the bridge.

 On the span the sun was shining. The wind was tolerable. And I was happy.


Back in Marin looking back at SF the rain had been left behind.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think this is poison oak. Those leaves were bright purple. I thought (as many itchy people have in the past) those would look beautiful in a flower arrangement.

And just like that, walking through Fort Baker and the weaving back down East Rd, to Alexander, to Second to Bridgeway I was back. 12 miles later and ready to grab the rest of the day. It was 12:30 pm. Now that wasn't too much time. I gave the morning to the 3 day and I got back confidence that I can do this. I can work, and walk, and dodge rain drops. I can walk in a poncho in the rain, or jacket in the cold or teeshirt in the sun. I can, if I try really hard..... Do it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment