Sunday, July 19, 2009

What makes you happy?


The other day, as my husband I were driving along, he turned to me and said "you said something that has really changed the way I think."

Hearing this, and being totally unaware what I said could ever have such an impact on my husband of 28 years, I asked just what this incredible comment might have been. He said, he couldn't remember the context, but he remembers it had to do with a choice between two things, and me asking him "what would make you happy?"

This resonated with him and has been repeating in his head over and over. What behavior you wonder, did this change in him? Did he decide to suddenly quit practicing law and become a sculptor or teacher???? No, he decided that even though, it was more logical to save up all his trips to Costco into one BIG trip, he could go in the middle of a Tuesday if he wanted to, so long as it made him happy.

Well, you say, that really isn't so big of a change. I have to differ. For my husband, just like it is for most of us, we have come to accept the way things are as non-negotiable. For me before I began this journey, my one non-negotiable idea was, I am an unfit, overweight and increasingly old person. Exercise, walking and hiking were for other people, but not for me. A. I was too out of shape to participate and B. I didn't really want to embarrass myself in my pathetic effort. And look at me now. I decided to challenge this negative bologna and cast away doubt and just see what I could do. I had a choice to do things as I have done for the past 14 years or try something different. I asked myself, "what would make me happy?" I bought a pair of walking shoes and now look at me!

This weekend Patti and I walked 14 miles. We left from her Sausalito houseboat and walked to the Ferry Building in SF. The first step out the door, I felt my shoulders relax, my eyes brighten and a smile creep across my face. I felt free, alive and able. Look what a gift I have been given just by challenging old tired voices in my head. For Glenn, it may be unscheduled Costco trips. For you it may be learning something new, traveling to a far away place or exploring your own back yard. It is amazing what can happen when you look at the rutt you find yourself in, and ask yourself if you are willing to try something new. It starts by asking why not instead of why. It ends by knowing that you can choice a different path. You can choose what makes you happy.
My choice for the day was to go on a walk with Patti. For most of the week I hadn't been able to squeeze in more than a short walk into my busy week. I was definately needing a long, uninteruppted walk (both for training and my mood) and so we headed off. The day was beautiful and the walk across the bridge took us through blowing fog, and brisk breeze. By the time we hit Crissy the crowds started to show up. You can tell it is summer because there is an exponentially large number of rented bikes and foreign accents. The cameras are on display and the walkways become full of people gawking at the sights and enjoying their lives. By the time we reached Fort Mason we hit a log jam of people going to the Renegade Crafts Faire. When we reached Fisherman's Wharf I wanted to run for cover. Patti was laughing as I dodged tourists from Armenia and Wisconsin looking for some clear sidewalk.



We ended up our walk at the Ferry Building and enjoyed some carnitas tacos before jumping onto the Ferry for the ride back. This was a great walk to celebrate Patti finishing her radiation but it was the longest she has gone so far. She did great! She should! She cycles and does aerobics at her club in addition to yoga and who knows what else. I am a piker compare to her when it comes to cross training...but this walking thing...well, there I don't come second to anyone I know. And who would have guessed it? Certainly not me. Magical things happen when you ask ...what would make you happy?



I think it is kinda fabulous that Patti's food # was 14... coincidence??? I don't think so!
Watermelon juiced never tasted so good!



These shoes are made for walking... and that is just what we're doing to end BREAST cancer. We could use your help. Please DONATE or let me know if you would like to attend WINE WARS. I am so stoked that we have Go Kat Go coming to play. An incredible group with fabulous musicians, including Mike Williamson, KGO's Katie Lieber. Food by Three Cats Catering. Wine by Heller Estates, Pey Marin, Hearthstone, Kendall Jackson and Fenestra! Just shoot me an email at cyoungling@apr.com if you'd like an invitation.
HELP US KEEP ON WALKING!

No comments:

Post a Comment