Monday, May 11, 2009

Denver..Day One: Foxes...Dogs...DU...walks, hits and errors

I celebrated Mother's day in Denver with my honey and my eldest daughter Allison.

Since Allison's husband Chris had just left for Iraq, and her house had just been broken into,
it was good timing for the "rents" to show up.
Besides, I needed to see how her walk training was working out. As you may remember, she will be my walk/tent partner on the 3 day.

Their dog Dexter, has a couple of phobias. One is a big stranger man walking the house. Glenn was greeted by the Dexter the dog scream. Really this dog screams! And he screamed for about 30 mins. straight, until he realized Glenn is a doggy push over.

Our walk on the first day consisted of a walk to breakfast near the DU campus, a dog walk to the nearest park, where we met Ms. Fox. Then later in the day to Washington Park. Finally we went to Coors field for a ballgame. We originally planned this trip months ago, thinking Chris would be in town. I had hoped to come on a weekend when the Giants would be playing the Rockies, but this was the one weekend that worked for Glenn's and my schedules. We bought seats in their "Wells Fargo Club" level, for a Marlins/ Rockies game.

It became evident to me, Allison had the right shoes for these walks and Glenn didn't. Dexter has more stamina than our dog Tucker. And I... I have recovered from the walking pneumonia to the point, I am just about at my old level of training. At the end of the day we had walked 9.1 miles (according to my daughter.) Here are some photos of day one.

Allison and her Mom in the DU Law school.
At Pete's University Cafe.

Allison mowing her lawn

Heading for the Dog Park

A Colorado Squirrel.

Allison and Dexter (a Colorado squirrel screaming dog).

Yes, I did get this close to Ms. Fox in a public park.

She doesn't seem to care at all.

Geese and gooslings

At Washington Park

Truth is we both are Giants fans! But Rockies can be #2
Coors Field - Rockies lose, but Dexter Folwer made it closer.

You can't help flashing back when you visit your grown child in their own home. You can't help but remember other Mother's Days when you are celebrating one in another town, with some very important people missing. I have missed my Mom for years now. She died from Cancer at the age of 49. Glenn's Mom had died a year and a half ago.

I remember going to Glenn's Mom's house and bring a rose for his Aunt, his Mom and his Grandmother. Flowers and Mother's Day always seem to go together. And when we arrived at the house, Allison had a bouquet of flowers waiting for me.

In the old days the girls would bring breakfast to me in bed on Mother's Day. I remember seeing Katie's bright smile and Allison's excited presentation of the tray with the toast and flower. They would present their homemade cards, each card so very much like the girl who created it. Allison with her creative stick figures and catchy phrasing... and Katie with her detailed drawing and sweet note. I have one years cards still up on a bulletin board at the house. Katie drew a replica of one of my miniature houses, and said "May all your busenes be pleasurable". Allison's was a scene from our trip together as a family in Tonga. All four of us on our boat and a note wishing me every thing I like at Mother's Day in the Kingdom of Tonga.

On most days I am not one who likes to lay in bed, so the Mother's Day morning treat was a treat to me mainly because it was a time the girls had taken to the time to let me know that they cared. (Whether this was spurred on by Glenn or on their own initiative I suppose I will never know.) Mother's Day to me will always be a day for sweet memories.

I miss the days when our lives were full of each other.

But I feel blessed, each and every day that I am given when we can be together again. They are too few for my liking.

I only wish ALL of us could be together again. That we all would take the time to remember just how much love there is in our little family. We should all remember to take the time to let each other know we love each other.

Family is the one constant in our lives, it is wise to enjoy each moment to the fullest.



Still time to donate

Make it late Mother's Day gift in honor of your Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment