Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day


My husband and I went to his father's house last night. When we walked into the door, to the left under Grandma Dold's clock decorated with American Flags, sat a small display of his service medals and hats. George (Glenn's Dad) served in the Merchant Marine and later the Navy during WWII.


Each time we visit, George seems to have another story from his younger years. Many of these memories are of his service. He saw action in the Pacific, Mediterranean and the Atlantic. He was in the Mideast and even sailed into Japan after the end of the war. It was during this time that he met Glenn's mother at a dance in SF. They were married when they both were very young. In fact Glenn's Mom was only 19. His hat still has rice lodged in the brim from the day they were married.


Today, my son-in-law is serving in Iraq with the Colorado National Guard. Both he and George felt they were a part of something bigger than themselves. Something important.


We are all in a position where we can give something of ourselves, to a cause greater than our individual needs. This walk for Breast Cancer is done by women who have decided they can make a difference in a very very difficult battle.


There are people who say, to support a cause like this is a waste. There are those who say after all, these foundations support drug companies, who have vested interest in the disease continuing. When I heard someone had made this comment, I felt very sad. Let me tell you what I know, from personal experience.


The efforts of Susan G Komen for the Cure have played a part in many of the drug therapies that have been discovered that have made Breast Cancer a disease that has a 95% cure rate if found in the earlier stages. A very large part of the work they do is to educate women about mammograms, self exams and being their own advocate in their health. What I know is, by the many messages I was receiving about self exam, I would once a month so a self exam in the shower. It was because of this I found a lump. It was because I knew where the lump was I was able to tell the x-ray technician where to look. My cancer was growing at a very quick pace. If I had not found the cancer when I did my results could have been very different. I was able to take advantage of the discovery of adriamycin, tamoxifen and alternative treatments because of the testing funding by Susan G Komen. I was a part of study funded by Susan G Komen on how eating fiber through fruits and vegetables help with survival rates.


So stand up! Support this great cause - if you do not believe you can make a difference in the world I give permission to sit down. I am certainly glad through this challenge, and so many others, there are people who are proud to stand in the face of overwhelming odds confident they will prevail.
It was this spirit that men like my Father-in-law and son-in-law took with them to war. It is the same spirit in which we are walking. We are walking to make a difference in something bigger than ourselves. Help us. DONATE.

No comments:

Post a Comment