Thursday, May 28, 2009

Good friends on a mission...

Yesterday half of the "Are We There Yet?" team took a training walk from my office to Corte Madera, through Larkspur and to our favorite creekside Kentfield Thai Restaurant.
8 MILES in all! Yahoo! We are all loving it!!!

What can I say about the "Are We There Yet Team?" Three of the members were college buddies of mine, actually Sorority sisters. I have known one of them since Junior High School. I have been the matron of honor in one of their weddings, a bridesmaid in another. One was a bridesmaid in my wedding. One is my daughter's Godmother. One of the team members is my daughter. Suffice it to say, we have see wars before, together. We have been a part of each other's lives in a way that is more precious than the rarest jewel.

When I went through my diagnosis and treatment for cancer, they each were there for me in their own ways. I remember being away on a "girls weekend", an annual event for the past many years. They had a theme night. "Hats". I was bald as a cue ball then and they knew it. I guess they didn't want to take the bold step of shaving their heads in solidarity, but they did don silly hats. Competitive me, I came up with a pretty creative hat. This was in the middle of the OJ Simpson trial, and we like the rest of the country were riveted to the daily news. In fact we played a game while floating in the Carmel river of.. "Who am I" from the OJ Simpson trial. We knew all the players. My hat was a black hat, with a helicopter on the top, white bronco on the rim being chased by a police car. (All were hot wheel type cars...) The front said GUILTY! I still have that hat sitting in my closet.

Next month is our girl's weekend. We will be in Santa Maria on a great ranch. I am sure we will do a few great long walks by cows and turkeys. Our theme there is a Foreign Affair. We once again will be thinking of one of us going through her battle with Breast Cancer. She will be starting radiation immediately after our weekend. Hers is a great prognosis. This is in large part due to the kind of vigilance that exists in Marin to diagnosis Breast Cancer as early as possible. The radiologist found her cancer on an x-ray. The Dr. said, most people would have missed this. Without the newer digital machines used for the mammography, she could have been facing far greater odds in her battle. As it is now, I am confident she will join me in the 95% of women who are diagnosed and survive this disease.

Once again, I think it is important to recognize that the funding provided by Susan G Komen has been instrumental in many of these developments. I ask that you be generous in your help to keep this incredibly important organization vital. Today's economy is tough. There is a danger that the funding will dry up. We cannot let this happen to an organization like Susan G Komen. It is too important. Within the next hour 20 women will hear the words "You have Breast Cancer". DONATE and be part of the reason those numbers will begin to dwindle, until one day there is NO ONE who will hear those frightening words.

And if you do hear them yourself one day, I hope for you, you are surrounded by the same kind of strong and supportive sisters I have been blessed with... There is no better weapon in your fight than the love and support of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment