Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pratically Perfect in Point Reyes - or Do I really need a walking stick?

Point Reyes National Seashore is as the name implies a NATIONAL treasure. We have lived in Marin for nearly 30 years. I am ashamed to say, although I have driven through Point Reyes many times, I have never hiked here. My husband Glenn, in High School was part of a hiking club. He often came here, hiking to the top of Mt Wittenberg, with a 50 lb pack. When I was deciding on where to do a good "long" hike Point Reyes was my first choice.

We woke up to gray and foggy skies. The idea of walking in fog seemed less than appealing. But the weather looked to be pretty much the same everywhere else we had talked about, so... we took a chance, and after walking the dogs, jumped into the car and headed off.

We found our way to the Bear Valley Visitor's Center. Since this was our first time out to Point Reyes (in our middle years) I thought sticking to the relative flat walk to Arch Rock, would be wise. So off we went on the Bear Valley Trail, along with an assortment of walkers, runners, bikers and strollers.

It is always remarkable to me when you are walking through a deeply forested place how the smells and sights take you back to other adventures. The bright green foliage stands out from the trees above and seems to glow with a supernatural light. The sound of the birds, the sound of the creek all serve to calm any tension remaining with you from the outside world. But the smell, there is something soothing and organic about the smell of the trees, the coastal breeze and the way it makes me feel grounded somehow.
The trail is wide so it is perfect for an easy walk. It is slightly uphill in many parts however and it is deceptive in the distance. The walk from the parking lot to the coast is approx. 3.9 miles. Along the way we stopped to snap a few shots...

Woman in PINK!

=
You can watch the landscape turn into more of a beach scape as you near the coast. And on your face you feel that slight chill coming from the ocean breeze. I was really surprised when we turned the corner to see about 50 people all sitting on Arch Rock at the end of the trail. It sort of looked like your basic bottle neck. I looked around to see if there was anywhere we could hide and still have the view. We waited our turn to have a seat on one of the rocks so that we too could be surrounded by the ocean, at the end of the trail.
One of the attractions out here was a little grey fellow, who was decidedly not camera shy. I couldn't decide if he was a mole or a gopher. Maybe you can identify him. Quite small actually.


I loved how this beach was marked with a kind of strata from the tide and waves.
There was a woman who asked us to take her picture standing here. So we asked her to return the favor. She was from Poland and was out here for a biking adventure. Every once in a while you can't help but remember, we live in a place that others travel the world to come and see. Today, I was glad we were actually out there seeing it too.
When it was time to start heading back, we had a decision to make. Do we go back the same way we had come? Or do we challenge ourselves and take the literal HIGH road back. We opted for the high road. I knew that would not be the easier way, but as they say, there is more to see on the road less traveled. So off we headed, first on the Coast trail, then to Sky Trail.
On this trail there are several switchbacks. In all we most likely gained around 950 feet in altitude. I reminded Glenn a couple of times, that I was going to need to stop and rest along the way. These stops are brief though, only enough to catch my breath and allow the pounding of my heart to slow. I made some snide comment about how all the people on the trail were half as young as we were, when around the corner came four 70 somethings with their walking canes. Ah hmmm... Ok, so I have a way to go to be as in shape as they apparently are! We still were undecided about which way to head back. There were a number of options.

We started down the Old Pine Trail, when two hikers asked us if we needed help, since they knew the area well. We said sure...which way is best to Bear Valley? They suggested we take Meadow Trail, since although it was steep "in places", it was quicker to where we were headed. And so... off we went.


And there was indeed a beautiful meadow, complete with wild flowers. By this time I was so wet from sweat, you have no idea! I had had to take my glasses off since they were fogging so much. I was glad for the relatively flat goings on this trail... until we reached a point in which we had to descend that same 950 feet to Bear Valley.
The trail down was washed out in parts, and the going was a little tenuous. Glenn had discovered he did need some new hiking shoes, that were better on the downhill sections. I had discovered a new meaning to our Team name "ARE WE THERE YET!"
But eventually we were there, and proud of the effort. The pay-off was a day that will be in our memories for a long long time. I am looking forward to more hikes, each a little easier than the one before, not because they are shorter, or less demanding, but because I will be that much more able to manage the day - with or with walking sticks!

About the color pink....

Glenn said a great thing on the trail. We were trucking along up a hill and when I came to a group of 30 somethings, they stepped aside and let me pass. (I have to admit not everyone did). But after we passed them Glenn said "They make way for a woman in pink, they know she's on a mission." And that hit home for me. I am on a mission. Whenever we are lucky enough to be on a mission we have a purpose that makes each day more meaningful. There's a great book called Cure for the Common Life: Living in Your Sweet Spot: by Max Lucado. I don't know if you are religious. I don't think you need to be to GET this book. It talks about finding the sweet spot. That place in your life, that when you are doing this thing, it all works. Kind of like hitting a baseball on the right place on the bat. The ball goes forever, you find it actually took less effort...That's were we all should be living our lives. And you know what, I am finding this walk to be a place where my life is humming along in the sweet spot.




We are given certain talents. When we live our lives without utilizing these talents, we are always battling against ourselves. When we try and live the other guys life, you will always come up short. We will never reach our potential. It is when we are using our gifts that our lives take on a kind of grace and ease that just screams...I am meant to do this. I may not be an athlete. I may not be the fastest, or strongest walker, but I know I am meant to do this. And.... it is sweet.







Finally some shameless plugging of the shirt I designed on Zazzle. If you are walking in the 3 day, you can purchase this shirt and customize it on Zazzle. You can add the names of anyone YOU are walking for on the front. You can even change color, type, order in a men's style, order a tank top.... basically just go to this link and start customizing the shirt. There are other shirt designs I have created there. You can order an "Are We There Yet?" shirt that will root on our team! Also at my Zazzle store there are VERY cool notecards that you can use to thank your donors. Or even order without the message inside, or customize your message. (Photos were from a trip to the conservatory of flowers). So go to my store at Zazzle, pick a shirt or design, customize it... buy and 10% of your purchase will go to the walk...


GO HERE... The address in case you need it is www.zazzle.com/cyoungling

No comments:

Post a Comment