Sunday, May 31, 2009

Happy Anniversary Baby - Got you on my mind!

Here is a 28th anniversary Floral extravaganza!

I think it was my husband's way of saying... please forgive me for spending the day with my guy friends. To celebrate the day, Glenn was racing our boat Hazardous Waste. The perfect solution was for me to lace 'em up and head out to train!
My team member and great friend Patti and I planned our walk from the Sausalito Yacht Club to the Sports Basement at Crissy Field. Patti had never walked across the Golden Gate Bridge. I find this a recurring theme, people who have lived in Marin for years who have never walked across the bridge! It's a wonderful role to be the GGBridge ambassador!
The day was very grey and there was a light mist in the air. I find when I walk with friends the camera comes out less frequently (unless the walk is REALLY challenging!)
So today's walk has fewer pictures than some. That means, I enjoyed the walk and talk!
Walking toward the bridge I heard the sound of something akin to a Tyrolean Trumpet. Looking up I could see this long heralding trumpet on the ridge above. Somehow, as out of place as this should have seemed, the vision of this silhouetted trumpeter seemed to fit.
On the bridge the wind almost took my favorite hat sailing off to parts unknown, but I grabbed it in time and saved it from a watery grave or pancaked end under some tourist bus.
Our first stop was at the Golden Gate gift shop. Patti bought a "I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge" pin. I refrained from buying Glenn a shot glass, and on we went.
The winding path down to Crissy takes you by some beautiful local flowers. When you have made it to the bottom you are only steps away from a great place to grab a bit to eat, "The Warming Hut". I like this place. It has a nice gift shop and the food is healthy enough you don't feel like you have sabotaged all your good efforts in walking!
Leaving the "Hut" we walked to the Sports Basement. If you have never seen this place is is pretty impressive and a great source for your outdoor gear/clothing and shoe etc. It is tyhe site of the old PX for the base. Patti ran a marathon in Hawaii a few years back and so she is an old hand all all this fitness stuff. For me it is still a learning curve. I am not at all comfortable wearing some of those "active wear" pants and tops. Who ever said, sprayed on pants are better. For me they are better off burned and left in the trash! I suppose I would walk faster if I wore these. I would be running FAST to try and avoid anyone seeing me in those. ICK!
Patti tried on a pile of shoes looking for the perfect 60 mile pair. She decided on a pair with the help of a nice young man who dissed my New Balance shoes. (BTW - I LOVE MY SHOES! In fact I have just ordered another pair of these, because I would rather buy and replace these shoes that wear others that are not as comfortable! )
We looked at our watches and realized, it was time to head back. The most obvious difference to me was the increased number of tourists on the way back, both on the bridge and in Sausalito. It reminds me that we live in a pretty impressive place to have so many people travel so far just to see what we are blessed with seeing on a daily basis. It also reminds me how far I walk when I travel abroad, versus how far I used to walk around here. So glad that isn't the same way anymore! These walks have me being a tourist in my own neck of the woods, and discovering it for the first time.
Back at home, Glenn arrived at almost the same exact time. We had dinner reservations so it was good we could clean up and get ready to go.
All in all it was a great way to enjoy a special day and evening.

So you saw the beautiful flowers I got for my anniversary present. Here is Glenn's present. Two self inflating sleep pads, a camelback backpack and inside, two hiking books, a gift certificate for walking shoes and a fifth of bourbon.

I am still waiting for your invitation request! Our August event is turning out to be incredible! I have three young chefs who will be catering the event. They are coming from So. Cal and donating their time. Great donations are coming in for the raffle and the live auction. And there are some really impressive wineries who will be donating wine for our tastings! Email me to let me know you want an invitation!

AND DON'T forget to DONATE!

1 comment:

  1. I hope I get such pretty flowers on our 28th!!

    Our August event is going to be awesome, I can't wait!

    -Allison

    ReplyDelete