Friday, June 11, 2010

Chance meetings ... things are heating up!

Today's walk is dedicated to Judy from Dallas!

Today the work calendar was cleared inadvertently by a malfunctioning mail server. Whereas this should have had me mad as a hatter, it made me smile. No email, no guilt as I put on my walking shoes, filled up the water bottle, threw a packet of Sharkies in the fanny pack and made my way to the Ferry for a 10:55 departure to SF.



While standing around in Sausalito looking at the Ferry out in the bay, I think we all wondered what the heck they were doing. They looked like they were at anchor, just sitting there for several minutes. While we were waiting I heard a woman ask a man where Golden Gate State Park was. That was my first clue that she wasn't from around these parts. The man was explaining where Golden Gate Park is, and I thought, hey what if she really mean Golden Gate National Recreation Area. I felt I had to check and that is how I met Judy.



We got to talking and I mentioned I was going on a training walk. She was mightly impressed that I was going to walk back from the Ferry building. There was a time not that long ago I would have thought I would never have been able to do what I do now....



I explained I was walking for the Breast Cancer 3 day. She mentioned she was a 10 year Breast Cancer Survivor. We have a lot in common. She had fought the cancer in what sounded like the same way I had, having a single mastectomy (and I am assuming chemo). But in one aspect we are different. Judy said she felt sure she would get it again. I told her it wasn't until year 14 that I truly felt able to deal with my cancer. But really it wasn't the fear of cancer coming back, it was accepting I had had cancer in the first place and that I could have died but I had survived. But honestly I don't think I ever (during treatment or after) felt like the cancer would come back. After walking in my first 3 day I felt like I had truly taken my life back. I asked her why she felt that her Cancer would certainly return and she said because her mother and grandmother both had had Breast Cancer. She told me she kept a close eye on things.



Judy, here is what I have to say to you..... Don't wait to believe your life is one without Cancer. Live each and everyday like Cancer is history. That doesn't mean you don't take care and watch your health, everyone should, but it does mean your focus should be on living. I want to see you out on the 3 day walk someday, if Dallas is too boring come to SF. Trust me you won't be the only Texan who decides to walk here in SF. Texas is one hecka a place, but trust me.... you would have a ball walking here! You can do it...if I can you can!
Now... on with the walk I dedicate to you!



I took off down the Embarcadero parting ways with Judy at Tcho chocolate. Not far past there, Pier 39 full of tourists and color came into view. I was surprised that despite the warm Marin day, the breeze in SF was cool and welcoming...



The street talent were working it!



On Fishermen's Wharf a big billboard reminded me once again why I am walking....


On my walks I almost always stop at the Maritime Museum, I thought today I might snap a picture...


Everytime I walk, I head down Aquatic Park, but today I thought, let's shake it up. I headed up to Ghiradelli Square... Lucky me, I found a great necklace for the walk at one of the street vendors tables... and guess what, it only cost $7!


No ice cream today, but every time I see this tower I remember high school days and the HUGE ice cream sundaes we used to share there.



They are still working on the old Maritime Museum, renovating it. Most of it is roped off, but they do have a senior center there now. It sits above Aquatic Park in all its deco glory.



I love those mosaics and art work they used.

Even in the old drinking fountains!


There were pre-schoolers along the way playing down near the water...


Other people found some shade and took a break from their "biking" adventures...

Up and over to Fort Mason with the red roofs... looking a lot like ones in Prague!

Gaslight Cover with Fort Mason to the right....

Want to go sailing??? I did today.

Loved this old MG. It reminded me of the old rally days... when I was a little one. My parents would squeeze us onto the bench seat of the 190 SL and all kinds of "classic" sportcars would wind their way around S. California. It was really fun..... I can't believe we fit on that cardboard seat!


The birds we pleased being fed....

I found some shade and took a picture of my new pink necklace... Did I say it was $7!!!!!


Along the waterfront off Crissy Field, people were enjoying the weather...

That tiny little girl is flying that kite... Open up this picture and see how cute!

Heading to the warming hut... Didn't need warming but I did need kombucha!

Folks fishing off the pier...

In all the times I have walked this I haven't bothered to walk to Fort Point. Today with no time crunch... I walked on the extra 1/4 mile to take a closer look.


Fort Point was built in 1860, or so the sign said.

Today was Friday and so everything is open to be seen except the lighthouse... so I took a picture instead!

Ready for those darn Confederates to show up.....

The courtyard....

The stairs to the upper floors.


An extra cannon... Maybe it Sir Francis Drake's?!

Looking back at the city....

Back tracking the 1/4 mile to the stairs to the bridge.

Ready to cross... On the bridge I had a moment. There are bikes and pedestrians crossing on the same side during weekdays and this makes it a little crowded. But usually I can weave my way through without incident. Some of the bikers are pretty serious athletes, some are tourists on rented bikes. NONE of them know the rules of the road. You know the one... pedestrians have the right of way... Be prepared to stop? In fact there are great big signs that say that...but on my way I get this "Ohhhhhh"as a bike crashed into my arm. He kept riding and I yelled in a very authoritative and bothered way "HEY, Pedestrians have the right away in this country!"


No harm...on the arm... just a bruised sensibility....

I will make a BIG sign for the 3-day that says "Share the road! Pedestrians have the right away!"


Thought I would share with you this warning....

East road was closed so it was down Alexander to Sausalito. Here is a picture of Cavallo.... looking forward to my next walk there!

I am hoping someday I will be able to spend some more time at this historic view home.

I just love these flowers that cling to the rocky hillsides along the way to Sausalito...

Big boat...big view....

I usually walk on the water side of Bridgeway... today I walked on the other side and saw this sweet little park...

And a set of old steps going....up!

Almost back to my car... I saw this happy pup enjoying the outdoor cafe...
So Judy, I hope you enjoyed the walk.
Thanks for the chance to get to know you a bit....
Now go out there and WALK!
Going walking tomorrow with Stephanie and we are going to be planning while walking.
Wine Wars II our big benefit wine tasting will be coming soon. AUGUST 13 I just a little while away. I hope you can come. Please take the time to reserve your spot on our website. You can pay for your entry and reserve your glass!!!
This evening will be the difference for the walkers of "Are We There Yet?" Each of us needs to raise a minimum of $2300 to be able to walk. Please support us! The good news is, you'll have a GREAT time while doing it.
Or if you are out of town donate to one of us at www.the3day.org/goto/arewethereyet

No comments:

Post a Comment