Saturday, January 30, 2010

Tidal thoughts

The view this morning

I left home this morning after catching up with some assorted email, knowing the blue skies outside may not last very long. Not wanting to tempt fate by waiting, I was out the door by 8:45. I had taken a look at the projected tides, because, especially in winter these can hamper all your resolve to get from here to there.

Our house - with BLUE sky


Tam Valley - fog or mist?

The trail to the office

Duck in coyote creek

The new office being on the water is wonderful in 98% of the way, except on weeks like these where the road has been blocked to avoid submerged cars.

Dipsea and coyote creek

Hwy 1 and 101 - this morning

As someone who works in the office building smack dab in the middle of the road block, you can occasionally talk the Cal Trans fellow into letting you slip through. I had no idea what I would face on foot.

In past posts you have seen this route before, down from Marinview, down along the creek, under the Hiway and then to the Bike path to the office. That worked until the under the hiway part. The passageway was flooded and only an egret would be able to make their way from that point to the office...unless.... you walk along the hiway.
Almost to the office

I have a slight fear of some driver talking on the phone while they plow into me. But I had on my pink gloves which I used to my advantage, waving in warning as I walked the 20 inch wide side of the road.... "Woman walking here! Watch out!" Luckily.... no one hit me and I made it to the office.

The view out my office window at high tide

Seaplane at my office

It was deserted for sure. Only two cars in the entire parking lot (which is huge). After making a short stop to email a friend about a dog.... I headed back out on the bike trail.

A wet bike path...

Birds who love water

Canoes on Richardson Bay

The Redwoods retirement home

The trail was barely above water, in fact there was one spot where there was no conceivable way to go through without getting the shoes wet... which I did. I made my turn for town at Mill Creek Meadows (which by the way my associate Myriam and I will be having a new listing in...)


Tam High

As I made my way up Miller Avenue I heard a familiar voice. Beth Brody had just pulled into her Chiropractors office. Beth is a fellow Realtor at Alain Pinel with me, previously with us in Pacific Union. Beth has something else in common, she is a Cancer survivor. I love how positive Beth is. She literally glows with optimism. I had her pose for you....

Walking on, I took in the familiar Mill Valley sights as the skies darkened.
Whole Foods

A sign at Mama's Cafe

Creek

Dogs Outside Mill Valley Cafe

Almost to the square

Sweetwater was going to move here, but changed their minds....

Kids riding bikes in the square

Dog outside Mill Valley market

Sequoia Theater

El Paseo, soon to be Tyler Florence's new restaurant

Beth had asked if I had my phone with me in case it poured on my walk. I did, but the reason was to check email... not bail out! After all I was prepared with four layers of clothing. But when I did get downtown it did start to sprinkle. I took that as a sign that I needed a lunch break. Toast is a small cafe that has quite a following. They have opened up another location on Novato, but this is their original. It is int he location of the old Dipsea Cafe (which moved long ago). I enjoyed a nice chicken hash before heading back out to start for home.

Toast

My great plan of waiting until the sprinkles subsided was blown entirely as the drops kept coming.
This used to be a mortuary.... now....

Honestly it wasn't too bad though except for the near miss of slipping on a manhole cover... water, and those, added to walking shoes don't quite work. It was a light rain by the time reached Whole Foods and I popped in only long enough to call myself a sissy.
As I marched on a passed a few brave souls, including one tourist with that tell tale map mounted on his bike. He wanted to know where Old Mill Park was, luckily for him he was going the right way. If I had to explain more than keep going, I think he and I would have been lost.
When I reached the bike path it seemed the ride was retreating. It was still pretty high, but wasn't covering the path. Reed and grasses were re-appearing and the birds were delighted with the respite they had gotten from all this rain. I had high hopes that maybe I could make it all the way home, but once I reached my cut off, it was obviously the path there was still underwater. I headed back to the office instead, called Glenn and asked for a ride home.
"What about the road block?" he asked.
"Heck they don't mean that for you! just go through it!"
As I waited for my ride I took a look out my window. The Great Blue Herons were holding court. How in the world could I be so lucky as to look at this while I work? I ask you.
.

So much of life is about choices. Choosing to go around the road blocks we find in life. Can you imagine the boring sad day I would have had, if I let the threat of high tides keep me inside.

Before I started this journey, with the 3 day, I was completely stuck. My ideas of what I could do, were limited by one big thing... me. I wake up every morning and feel so grateful to know that I have rediscovered not only the possibilities in my life, but the reality that I can accomplish almost anything. So, I ask you, what is limiting you. Can you this year live your dreams. Can you give yourself the gift of believing in yourself?

It can start as simply as one tiny step out the door. Open the door and see what awaits you.

(Shameless plea here for donations to this effort...3 days, 60 miles to end Breast Cancer. Please click here or on the icon on the side of this page and make a generous donation. There has never been a time when it was more important. THANKS)

PS - Feel free to comment on this blog. It helps to know when people are reading it.

Don't worry if I don't like what you say... I can block it!

No comments:

Post a Comment